Here are the Top 9 Requirements on How to Build a Fallout Shelter Based on Switzerland Civil Protection Office
- Build it underground – earth insulates radiation and blast waves.
- Don’t go deeper that 10″
- Use concrete with reinforced rebar walls between 1 foot and 2’7″ thick.
- Plan a minimum of 9 sq.ft. per person
- 8″ thick concrete and steel doors
- Ventilation and air-filtration equipped with hand crank.
- Have food, water, toilet, radio and something to sleep on.
- Base your needs on the number of days you’ll be sealed underground, minimum 2 days.
- Be sure you can get there by a 30′ walk.
Above is from an article in the New York Times By Malia Wollan May 26, 2017.