The following summary describes the Basic Cayce Diet recommended for healing and health maintenance for most people. These diet concepts provide a framework for meal planning.
Edgar Cayce frequently emphasized the importance of maintaining a proper acid-alkaline balance by eating mostly alkaline forming foods. A comprehensive list of foods can be found here. The following summary will give you a quick overview of acid and alkaline-forming foods.
Alkaline-Forming Foods (80% of the daily diet should contain these foods):
- All vegetables except dried beans, lentils, asparagus tips, and garbanzos.
- All fresh fruits except cranberries, plums, olives, prunes, and blueberries (preserves and canned fruits are usually acid-forming).
- Almonds, chestnuts, Brazil nuts, and hazelnuts.
Acid-Forming Foods (20% of the daily diet should contain these foods):
- All meats except beef juice and bone meal.
- All grains, cereals, and bakery products except for soybeans.
- All dairy except buttermilk, yogurt, raw milk and whey.
- Peanuts, pecans, and walnuts.
Food Combinations to Avoid
Certain food combinations are difficult to digest and may cause problems in the digestive system. Here is a brief list of food combinations to avoid:
- Two or more starchy foods at the same meal.
- Sugary foods and starchy foods.
- Milk and citrus fruit or juice.
- Cereals and citrus fruit or juice.
- Large quantities of starchy foods with meat or cheese.
- Coffee with milk or cream.
- Raw apples with other foods.
A Typical Day’s Menu
Using the laminated Basic Diet sheet as a guide, develop a variety of daily menus which suit your taste and conform to the dietary principles in this section. Here is a simple outline for a typical day’s menu:
Either citrus fruit, or cooked or dry cereal.
Raw vegetable salad with dressing or fruit salad.
Steamed vegetables served with fish, poultry or lamb.
Proper food preparation is important to preserve nutrients and avoid toxicity. Here are some suggestions:
- Steam vegetables in their own juices (i.e., patapar® paper).
- Never fry foods.
- Use fresh, locally grown vegetables and fruits whenever possible.
- Avoid aluminum cookware.
Attitudes and Emotions
Edgar Cayce stated that even the most nutritious foods can turn to poison in the system if eaten while a person is in a negative frame of mind. Never eat when angry, worried or extremely tired.
Thank you, this is great advice. I was always worried about the apple. He has mentioned something about apples that confused me. It seemed in some of his readings he mentioned that some people shouldn’t even be eating apples. ..or so it seems.
Yes, there were times when Edgar Cayce told people to not go on the apple diet. He did not intend it to be done by those looking for a weight-loss strategy. He also said for them to be eaten alone, and never with other foods. He told people to not go on the diet if you are doing Castor Oil Packs. Cayce said, “Do not attempt to use the Apple Diet as a cleanser, if using the Oil Packs.” He also said to rest while being on the Apple Diet. “…the regular Apple Diet would be WELL for the body – but DON’T TRY TO WORK LIKE A HORSE WHEN YOU ARE ON THE APPLE DIET! Or else we will find it will be more detrimental than helpful!” (Cayce). You may find our article on the Apple Diet here:
Thank you for keeping the spirit of Edgar Cayce alive.
I have been following some aspect of his teachings on a daily basis for over 30 years.
I’m sure I’ve read from him at times that we should start our day like a lion with a large breakfast, then as a deer for lunch eating salad and as a bird for dinner eating moderate carbs. It’s a preference thing I guess.
As far as the apple fast goes…I had amazing results from this protocol. I felt like I was beaming with light afterwards.